Anyone who knows me, knows that I’m not big on New Year Resolutions. I firmly believe if you’re going to do something new, you have a chance each and every day. However, in the spirit of the Holiday I have compiled a list of things we should absolutely NOT take into the new year. So, let’s just get started!
- New Year, New Me – I’m going to stop you right there. How many time have you said this and fallen back into the Old Year, Old You routine’s all over again? You have a new start each and every day, you don’t need to prove anything to anyone except yourself. If you are unhappy with something, you don’t need a new day, a new week or a new year to make changes. Tomorrow is not promised and there is no better time than right now to make changes, so hop to it.
- Shortcuts – Shortcuts are for driving and even then if you are always taking them you are sure to miss out on the great things that occur on the scenic route. Far too often people make the mistake of take the easy way out or selling themselves short by taking shortcuts; in your career, in your relationships, in life. If you’re always taking the easy route you are no doubt missing all of the valuable lessons you could have and should have learned on the scenic route!
- Do it for the gram – Let’s face it, social media has taken over. We have become so consumed with social media we are missing out on the joys of life! We are consumed with what other people are doing and they really ain’t doing anything, they are at home, flossing with their rent cash right before they take it to get a money order. Stop taking the stuff on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for face value. With the amount of editing tools out you can photoshop your self a new life just for the love of followers. Less gram more face time…no pun intended.
- Hold the beef – As entertaining (or not) as Blac Chyna and Heather Sanders snap chat beef may have been the very bottom line is this, Blac Chyna used to be a stripper, turned rapper’s baby momma, turned boutique/Salon owner and I haven’t a actual clue what Heather Sanders is actually known for but they are both too old for the games they played. In 2015 who hasn’t had work done and at the end of the day whether you have or haven’t really isn’t anyone’s business. If you were friend and you had a falling out, now isn’t the time to spill the tea. You look crazy and y’all both look dumb as hell airing out your laundry on social media. So in 2016 let’s not and say we did with the beefing on social media.
- I can take yo man – And you can also take your ass back to 2015 with that side bitch shit. I honestly don’t know when being a side bitch became the thing to boast about. I don’t know at what point being discrete went out the window. But let’s be 110% clear, there is NOTHING cute about being someone’s side piece of ass. If someone is cheating, they clearly don’t have respect for people’s feelings but if you are fine with it, you clearly have no respect for yourself. There are more than enough single people out here for everyone to have someone. You don’t need to share and you also don’t have to put up with someone who doesn’t value you enough to be with you and only you.
- Bad Weaves – Stop letting Pookie and nem hook you up in their kitchen. If you can’t afford a weave then just go to the dominicans and get a blow out or go somewhere for a short do. I’m sorry but if nothing else gets taken care of, my hair does. I can’t just have my hair looking any which kind of way. And if your friends can’t tell you, allow me to be the one to tell you. The stiff weave look is not, has not, will never be in. So, stop.
- Lanes – Everyone has one and you should do well to remain in your own. Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one, but unless I ask you for yours just keep it to yourself. Honestly, I am tired of people offering unsolicited opinions on what I should do about xyz. I will handle my issues the best way I see fit, just as you will handle yours. I may not agree but I don’t have to live with the outcomes of the choices you’ve made for yourself and vice versa. The internet has opened up a gateway … an express lane if you will… for everyone to voice their views and opinions and quite frankly… some views and opinions I can just do with out. I don’t want to complicate friendships because of an array of different views and opinions and honestly I just don’t care. So… Lets everyone mind their lane and keep it truckin!
- Rushing – I’ve had my fair share of relationships and my fair share of making up and breaking up but when I’m knocking on 30s door, that just isn’t something I’m welling to entertain. I would rather take my time, get to know someone rather than rushing into something because it feel good for the first 5 minutes. I was minding my business and noticed someone on my Instagram celebrating their anniversary after only a few short months and a few weeks later they announced their shacking up and I’m just thinking, this time last year, it was a totally different girl. What’s the rush? I have never been in such a rush to not be single where I would fast forward 3x on an entire process like that. No sir. Honestly, I can’t waiting to see what happens to that.
- and last but not least, Spamming your entire life/relationship on IG – I don’t care to see back to back picture of you and your spouse. I don’t care to know where you are going on a date, that you had a break up, that you’re moving apart. None of this is my business. And yes, I get it, your instagram, your rules but one can learn so much from ones social media. Yes, you have several people who will post a meme claiming , “you can’t match my social media to my life,” yea ok. When you post all your business on the internet you are allowing me to have an opinion on it. Not that I want to but I now can because you’ve opened up that door. Then, when it’s over your instagram get’s depressing. To be clear, I don’t care about none of that shit and I guarantee none of the other people following you care either. I’m not even being a sour puss but seriously. A few pics every now and again, fine but I am a firm believer in a private life is a happy life. The less people who knows about the goings on in your personal life, the less opinions and ultimately the happier you are because you don’t have to deal with those unsolicited ass opinions.
So, I would say these are the 9 things I hope we don’t carry into the new year. Please, feel free to add to the list in the comments section, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try to post more in the new year because this year I just sucked. I haven’t been motivated and with the lack of feedback from people it just hasn’t helped. So, lets get active in those comments!
Anyway, until next time…